Effects on You
When you help and support someone after a traumatic event such as interpersonal violence, you may experience some of the same emotions as the victim. Just as you allowed the victim to express their emotions, you should allow yourself to do the same.
We encourage you to:
- Talk to a counselor or call a hotline
- Sexual Assault Hotline (800-656-4673)
- OASIS 24-hr Crisis Line (828-262-5035)
- Educate yourself about interpersonal violence and prevention.
- Don’t be alone all the time. Be active and plan things with family and friends. This can help in moderating stress levels.
- Don’t expect to be able to make the survivor feel better.
- Don’t blame yourself. The only person responsible for this is the perpetrator.